Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV exposure
Apr 17, 2009

Hello, i have a question on HIV exposure.. I was married to a man who was unfaithful to me..with men, he turned out to be gay..Shortly before we broke up i had my daughter, Im concerned for me and my child who is now 3. I havent been with him for almost 4 years and he has had a HIV test 18 months ago and 2 and a half years ago, they were both negative..recently he went for another one and it came up positive, is there anyway i could have HIV if i have not slept with him for 4 years and he has had 2 tests within the last 4 years and came up negative? IS it true that HIV is detected in your blood within 3-6 months? Also, about a year ago i was donating plasma once a week for a month and i was not told i had anthing wrong in my blood, wouldnt they detect HIV in my blood and stop me from donating? Hope you can help me with my questions, i am terrified mainly for my daughters health.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

". . . I was married to a man who was unfaithful to me . . . with men." ". . . He turned out to be gay . . . ." Hmm . . . I kind of surmised that due to my keen sense for the obvious!

Your concerns about contracting HIV from your ex are completely unwarranted. You haven't had sex with him for four years. He tested HIV negative 18 months ago and 2.5 years ago before testing HIV positive "recently." This is definitive proof he was HIV negative at the time of your last potential exposure. Yes, it's true; HIV can be detected within three to six months after primary infection. Yes, it's also true the plasma donor center would have rejected your blood and notified you if you were HIV infected.

For your own edification and reassurance I suggest you spend some time reviewing the wealth of information on this site. Begin with "The Basics" that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage.

Be well. Stop worrying. Get informed.

Dr. Bob

Previous
private for doc Bob
Next
Not happy with Dr. Bob :(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.