It's the Bio student! Thank you.

Dr. Bob,

I hope you read this and see my thank you.

Thank you for responding so quickly. My roommmate has been reading through your site for the last day and night. I think he will probably write you soon, and I want to tell you how thankful I am for you calming my fears. I'm not going to waste my time getting tested, and its because of your words that I can let this go.

Thanks again for everything. I will be praying for you each day: for the obstacles that I'm sure you face each day. I know that you have to deal with something that the rest of us just fear. So, Dr. Bob, I hope that you are well, and stay well (in your words)

Farewell Dr. Bob,

-Your College Friend-

Hi College Bio-stud!

Thanks for your thanks and for your kind words. Actually even in spite of being "virally enhanced" and having had my share of health challenges related to coexisting with a virus that wants to plant me six feet under, I continue to feel like one of the luckiest guys on the planet. I'm living the happily-ever-after existence most folks only dream about by sharing my life and love with my legally married husband Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum) for the past 16 years. Hot, sexy, cute, smart, funny! And he's an HIV expert. It's like winning the megabucks jackpot here in Vegas. (We are in Las Vegas at the moment.)

Fear can be devastating and is often unwarranted. (Just check the archives and you'll see what I mean.) Rather than worry about things over which I have no control, I prefer to enjoy every nanosecond of this marvelous existence granted to us by the higher powers.

Dr. BOB! Help a Bio Student! Lotion, HIV, OPEN CUT? Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Bob,

So basically I'm trying to come to a rational decision so that I can get a whoo hoo from you for not freaking out and not thinking through whole situations.

So, my roommate has just found out that he is HIV+. I didn't even know what to say at first, but of course am supportive and willing to help. While we were talking he said that he had been using by lotion to masturbate with for some time. Of course I became a bit worried because about 2 weeks ago I had an open cut on my penis from some excessive frottage! UGH! What the crap right??!! Well, anyways, I've been trying to figure out if HIV could have remained viable in the lotion long enough for it to get into my open cut, since it was in fact open. I would think it would have been at least a few hours since he had used it and then I would have used it to lather up the ol yummy monster. haha! Have you heard that one before? I've read A LOT of posts through the archives; ranging from the one story of the man who's roommate used his lotion after shaving, but he didn't have any visible cuts that could have allowed transmission. I'm a bit concerned but not freaking out. I want to be rational and normal about this situation. So in the end my question is whether or not if there was pre-cum or semen on the mouth of the lotion bottle or within the lotion bottle could HIV have been transmitted into my blatantly open cut? I know HIV CAN'T remain viable for long, but I'm concerned about if it's in a wet state. This is probably just a dumb question considering I'm a biology major haha! I know that most likely the glycopoteins, and the viral envelope would break down rather quickly, and although, I'm not positive to exactly how HIV binds to the CD4 cells I'd have to guess that the break down of this is what may render it noninfectious. If doesn't take HOURS for HIV to fail to be infectious even in a wet state then I'm fine; because even if there would have been HIV in the lotion if it were hours after then it doesn't matter that I had an open cut because it wouldn't be infectious. Regardless I value what you have to say. I hope you don't yell at me for being, well, kinda worried.

Well, Dr. Bob on a personal note, I really admire what you do with people. I am trying to go to medical school myself (and well on my way). I think that if everyone took medicine in the same way that you do, the world would be immensely blessed. Just thought you should hear that. Perhaps it'll make your day. I know Dr. Steve makes your day but I tried:)

Your College Friend!

Hey College Friend,

Relax Max. You're fine. Your HIV risk is completely nonexistent.

Tell your roommate about this site. There is information here that he may well find very helpful. He should start with the basic information on The Body's homepage. Under the heading "The Basics" he'll find chapters including, "Just Diagnosed."

Swinging + Question asking
Lost Virginity In Thailand