Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swinging + Question asking
Apr 16, 2009

My partner and I have decided to let each other sleep with other people. We had a situation come up the other day where this was possible for her. I was happy and excited about it, but I thought we should have a short talk about protection/safety... and brought up something that I thought was basic and taken for granted, and she thought was ridiculous. I thought, in addition to obviously wearing a condom, she should also ask the other guy if he's been tested, whether he has risky sex, whether he knows of having any possible std's. My girlfriend told me she had never asked anyone this before having sex and would rather not ask this particular guy. She thought that condoms were enough. I'm new to this possible scenario, but I thought this type of question asking/disclosure was very common and important. any thoughts would be great. thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Disclosure is a complex topic. In fact we have an entire chapter devoted to it in the archives. I do believe it's very important to disclose one's HIV and STD status before hitting the sheets for an episode of horizontal mattress mambo; however, even more important is always taking all necessary precautions to prevent STDs, including HIV. Personally I wouldn't totally trust what another guy said to me about his HIV status, even if he had a lie detector strapped to his Mr. Happy. We all need to be personally responsible and do everything we can to prevent viral transmission.

Are disclosure and asking questions about health status common? That depends on the setting. It's routine with some folks, but nearly nonexistent in sex clubs, such as San Francisco's Blow Buddies or some heterosexual swinger's clubs, like Club Cleopatra in Paris.

I'd suggest both you and your partner peruse the information in the archives of this forum. We have chapters not only on disclosure, but also on STDs, HIV sexual prevention, safer sexual techniques and a variety of related topics. Check it out.

Play safe and you'll stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PEP? #3
Next
It's the Bio student! Thank you.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.