The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Third world country insane guy

Apr 16, 2009

Well, Im a 32 year old guy and I had unprotected sex, with a street hooker in El Salvador, 11 months ago. I developed some kind of rash that wont go away on my forehead. My doctor said it was telangectasias and only lasser would help. Besides Ive had a chronic sinusitis through all 2009. I confess, Ive been anxious, paranoic and stupid. I check every inch of my body seeking signs or symptoms of HIV every day. I take my body temperature twice a day. Nevertheless, in a momentary lapse of reason, I took an Elisa test 8 months after exposure (january, 2009) in a decent hospital in my undeveloped country and it came back negative. I think you and Dr. Steve are wonderful people. Turns out youre HIV specialists and shrinks at the same time. Im sure you must find a lot of our questions really weird for not saying dumb. I read one related to toilet water, thet made me feel mentally healthy, and you awswered to it kindky. I really think that youre both great. You are and example to all doctors and all humans. Yes, my question. My sinus and skin conditions are still present. ¿Should I be tested again for hiv? ¿What are the probabilities of a false Elisa negative result? ¿Should I find a good psychologist instead?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Third World Country Insane Guy,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. However, a negative ELISA at eight months is definitive and conclusive proof that you are HIV negative.

Regarding "symptoms," please note a negative ELISA outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time. Telangectasias are not a symptom associate with HIV/AIDS. If these are bothering you, see a dermatologist for treatment. (Laser therapy can be very effective!) For your chronic sinus symptoms, if your general medical doctor can't help, you should see an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist. It's important to remember these conditions are not related to HIV. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted.

False-negative test results are not a problem with ELISA tests. (They are highly sensitive tests and would err on the side of false-positives rather than false negatives.)

Should you find a good psychologist? Yes, this is probably a good idea for several reasons. First, you seem to have developed an irrational fear of being HIV infected. ("I check every inch of my body seeking signs or symptoms of HIV every day.") This is not healthy. You have overwhelming proof that HIV is not your problem and yet you continue to perseverate on this disease. A good psychotherapist will help you accept the truly wonderful news that you dodged the HIV bullet and are unquestionably HIV negative. Second, you report being "anxious, paranoic (sic), and stupid." The psychotherapist will be able to treat your anxiety and help you cope with your guilt feelings stemming from your lapse of judgment. I think you're being too hard on yourself. We are all human, which means we all make mistakes, even yours truly. What's important is to admit our indiscretions, accept responsibility for our actions and to learn from our mistakes. Remember the higher powers gave men a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

Stop worrying! Start WOO-HOOing! OK?

Dr. Bob

will zithromax show i have HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint