HIV Exposed

Hi Doctor,

I have been seeing a guy for 6 months now it was going really well then one night 2 months ago we got very drunk and had unprotected sex I was the bottom, it was only for about 10 minutes it was not rough sex and he never ejaculated in me, the issue is 6 days after this my partner found out he was HIV+ as you can imagine this has compeltey confused our relationship but I do want to stand by him, as I don't want to end it but I have a million concerns flying round my head and its made our sex life a little stressed!!!

My main concern is recently I think I may of developed some symptoms of early HIV infection these being, slight pain in my muscles joints and most of all a rash has developed on my back and the top of my arms, its a light red flaky rash ( flaky skin ) which is quite itchy I do suffer from eczema so I'm not sure if I'm getting myself panicked over nothing and possibly making it worst myself, I am going to have a test but wanted to wait for the 3 month window to be sure!!! If you could maybe give a little advice about how much chance you think I have of now being HIV+ taking into account the symptoms as well.

Thanks so much.

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. That your partner did not ejaculate inside you would decrease the HIV-transmission risk somewhat. However, that he only found out about his HIV status recently means he is not on antiretroviral medications and may have a high HIV plasma viral load. That could increase the HIV-transmission risk.

Your symptoms are not at all worrisome for or suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

Because you had a significant exposure with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive, the CDC recommends HIV testing at both three and six months.

I would suggest you and your partner read through the archives of this forum. We have entire chapters on magnetic couples, HIV sexual transmission, symptoms, safer sexual techniques and other related topics you both should find enlightening and reassuring.

Good luck to you both.

frozen?
Do I need to do further test