Previous cancer effect on window period

Hi Dr. Frascino,

First of all, I'd like to say great job on keeping up with all these responses and setting so many people's minds at ease (including my own).

Alas, I'm one of those who is guilty of obsessively searching around on the internet for ARS symptoms and the like, but my question to you is a little different.

I had testicular cancer which was successfully operated on (1 removed) in October 2007. My concerning situation is that I had protected sex with a girl who I found out later was an escort.

During intercourse, the condom broke, but I didn't have any idea when it broke, and kept going (max for 5 more mins). I went to get checked for STD's (blood and urine) a week later after I experienced a burning feeeling while urinating and slight discharge. Turned out I had chlamydia! HIV was negative at that time though, no suprise there. I went on zithromax for a day (4 pills) and it was gone by the next week.

After that, I started experiencing a really sore throat at the 5 week mark, but not the kind that comes along with a cold. It was more like an aching feeling, like someone socked me in the neck and it was bruised. I've had it along with a couple of swollen lymph nodes under my jaw ever since. I'm now at the 9 week mark and the nodes are still there, although the aching feeling comes and goes. I've tried to exercise a lot and eat plenty, but it still feels swollen (although it is not immediately visible when looking at my neck) When it first occured, I felt like my throat was closing up, so I went to the doctor at about 6 weeks, he took a look at my tonsils, and prescribed ibuprofen for a few days as I guess he figured it was some sort of swelling.

Anyway, that's the background. Now my question is basically that I've read with a healthy immune system, HIV antibodies should be produced in most people anywhere from 2-8 weeks. I never underwent any radiation or chemo (only surgery where they also removed the connected lymph nodes on one side in the groin area as a precaution) and I think my immune system is pretty average. There have been no new symptoms since that time, although I have just come down with minor chest congestion. Can you give me any data on exactly what sort of medical background people who test positive only at 12 weeks have? Does previous cancer affect this at all? Thanks so much for your response, and a donation is most certainly on the way. Cheers!

James

Hello James,

I'll be brief. Your previous cancer would have no effect on the accuracy of an HIV-antibody test.

Nobody walks in L.A.
Can Oral sex increase window period?