Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

immunocompromised
Apr 7, 2009

Hi i dr first of all i think you are great... anyway im a gay male and recently started seeing a guy we got tested together and both came up negative, mine was at 8 weeks no i read on a site it is 95% accurate at 8 weeks unless you have an expceptionally weak immune system. now im not immunocompromised for any rreason but do get sick somewhat frequently do you think this would effect my result because my body would take longer to produce antibodies? or in theory should my 8 week test be ok especially considering i always practice safe sex

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First of all I cannot confirm the "95% accurate at 8 weeks" statistic, as there are many variables to consider, including what generation test is being used. Second, even if the 95% figure was correct, that would mean the test misses 5 out of every 100 diagnoses! That's no where near accurate enough when dealing with a disease as potentially catastrophic as HIV. At this point most published guidelines continue to recommend testing at the three-month mark for a definitive test result. I certainly agree the vast, vast majority of folks infected with HIV will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies and p24 antigen in their blood within four to six weeks of primary HIV infection.

Next, "getting sick somewhat frequently" does not mean you are immunocompromised! Folks that are significantly immunocompromised have difficulties with severe persistent infections, such as meningitis, pneumonia, chronic sinobronchitis, persistent skin boils and infections, etc. I tend to doubt this description fits you, right? Yeah, I thought so. My advice is to be very encouraged by your negative eight-week test, to stop worrying about immunocompromised status/delayed seroconversion and to get a definitive/conclusive HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
So how was your vacation to Obamaland. I thought Obama might have invited you, but he is in Europe, so that could not be it.
Next
Side effects of HPV vaccine for girls (GARDASIL SIDE EFFECTS, 2009)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.