Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

one more same question about testing
Apr 7, 2009

heya doc, greetings from St. Petersburg, Russia. you're making great job, but you already know that. i'm married man, which has 4 -is so far, last - was 2 months ago, therefore i had my stupidities like young dude. when i get married, i didn't have any risk until month ago. so, once more qwnd (question which never die), insertive fellatio to one prostitute (i don't know her hiv status). we used condom, she put it with her lips (nope, she doesn't know to open bottle of ketchup yet) but i didn't check it after those 3 minutes of oral sex. i didn't saw any blood on condom, but after intercourse i didn't check it briefly for failure. Like always in those situations with married ppl, very next day i started to feel bad, after 2 weeks my throath started to hurts and it's still hurts, lymph nodes on neck hurts, just if i will know where are they. I'm supposing it's just my guilty, i need to level with my wife. i know that in unprotected oral sex there is some chance for getting hiv, in protected - no way dude, but question is: is it possible that condom break just a little that it's not visible or it'll be visible in any way. do you suggest test after 3 months for me because of this single stupid episode? or i just need your good karma?and one more question: are you suggestiong test to calm down or you think that there is chance to get hiv? cheers, dude! sergey

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sergey from St. Petersburg,

Yep, yours is another QTND (question that never dies), so I'll be very brief and refer you to the archives if you want additional information or reassurance.

When condoms fail (break) it's not a subtle occurrence. After all a condom is just a very thin piece of latex stretched over a massive throbbing Russian saber, right?! When latex condoms break (tear) your Mr. Happy's head comes poking through just like your other head pokes through a turtleneck sweater. Small tears are not a problem, because since the latex is stretched, a small tear would very quickly become a large rip! If you don't believe me give it a try. Stretch a condom over a banana, cut a small tear in it and then see what happens. In real life you also have the ol' in-and-out motion going on, which, of course, would also contribute to larger tears.

I agree your guilt is your primary problem and that you should level with your wife. A single HIV-antibody test in three months is a good idea and should put any residual worries permanently to rest. The primary reason for such a test is peace of mind rather than real risk of HIV acquisition.

Good luck Sergey. Now that I've answered your question are you going to show me around St. Petersburg when I visit later this year?

Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Positive to Can't find virus: Still infectious?
Next
core antibody

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.