Dealing with irrational fears

Dear Dr. Bob,

I've been together with my partner for over half a year now and we both started the relationship off as HIV-negative and monogamous and remain so. He got sick for several weeks with something the doctors eventually dianosed as a Streptococcal infection. He's also tested negativ twice for HIV.

I've come down with a nasty cold and cough for a couple of weeks now, he seems paranoid and exhibits irrational fears. Not only has he asked to see my test certificate many times, but now he wants me to go in and get another one.

As somebody extremely anxious around syringes, how do I convince him that HIV-Negativ really means "negative"?

Friendly regards from Berlin.

-------------------- For reference:

HIV-1/2 Ak / p24 Ag (CLIA); Ergebnis: negativ negativ

To clarify the above from German, it's all together an HIV-1 & HIV-2 Antibody test with another test of the p24 protein.

Hello Berlin-Boy,

I agree your partner is being both paranoid and irrational. More HIV tests are not the answer. He needs counseling or psychotherapy to confront and hopefully conquer his totally unwarranted fears. Offer to go with him to the sessions. Your partner needs to be made aware of the fact that irrational fears and paranoid behavior can poison a relationship. His problem is psychological not virological! These types of irrational fears often get worse without appropriate medical intervention.

Good luck to you both.

Travel ban for Hiv+
HIV Positive to Can't find virus: Still infectious?