Travel ban for Hiv+

Dear Doc, Bonjour comment 9a va? I have one question regarding the travel ban for Hiv +. I have to travel to the US for work, and I am tacking Anti-retroviral meds. The problem I can't travel with my meds to the US. Is there a possibility for me to buy them directly there. I will be staying just for a week. Thank you in advance for your answer A bientot

Salut Mec,

Oui, ca va. The ban is in the process of being lifted. Dubya made things a bit more difficult with his usual half-assed mean-spirited screw-up on lifting the obnoxious and totally discriminatory ban. The Obama administration is a bit busy with all of Dubya's other screw-ups (the economy, the environment, Afghanistan, the world, etc.), but they'll get it done, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

For your one-week work trip to the US I strongly doubt you'll have any difficulty here. Just pack your meds in your suitcase and don't mention your HIV status. Americans pop so many pills and potions the border officials really don't know an AZT from a Prozac. Yes, there is the extremely slim possibility you could get nabbed, but I'd put the odds in the extremely remote category. As for buying some HIV meds here, sure, that can be arranged. Your HIV specialist can contact a local HIV specialist to advise what medications you need (many of us know each other quite well) and then the US-based physician could call the prescription into a nearby pharmacy for you. Be prepared, however, it could be quite costly!

Good luck!

Greeting from Land Down Under ; )
Dealing with irrational fears