Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2 Inconclusive Western blot test
Apr 7, 2009

I'm 4 months pregnant and this is my 3rd pregnancy I gave birth in 2006 and 2007 all my labs came back normal. I've been with my husband for 5 yrs he's the only person I have been with and vs versa. We both had labs done with our life insurance company everything came back normal. 2 weeks later I did my labs for my obgyn and the western blot came back inconclusive. So my obgyn thought that it might have been technical error so he sent me to another lab where the same thing happened Inconclusive western blot and negative hive aids test. So he says that he's not worried due to me not having a risk factor and were going to run the test over in 4-6 weeks. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I don't quite understand what you mean by "inclusive western blot and negative HIV/AIDS test." Did your Ob/Gyn doctor order a Western Blot (WB) without first getting a repeatedly positive ELISA test? If so, he ordered the WB test inappropriately!!! A WB test is used only to confirm a repeatedly reactive (positive) initial HIV-screening test, such as an ELISA, EIA or rapid test. WB tests should never be run independently of a positive initial screening test, due to a high rate of false-positive/indeterminate results. The WB test is a highly "specific" test, so it's designed not to miss any true-positive HIV tests. Because of this high level of specificity it sometimes picks up some negative tests and reads them as positive or indeterminate.

Looking at this another way, if your HIV-antibody screening test (ELISA, EIA, rapid test) is negative, there is absolutely no reason or indication to get a WB test! Hopefully this clears up any confusion. If not write back with more specific information on exactly what types of tests were ordered and when. These may include ELISA/EIA/rapid tests (initial screening tests); Western Blot tests (confirmatory HIV-antibody tests); or qualitative or quantitative HIV plasma viral load tests, such as PCR DNA or PCR RNA.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Negative Right????
Next
I'm new to this.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.