Serum negative but girfriend's ( hiv antibody/antigen screen) postive

Hi ..my girfriend just been through a test to get a visa done, her test( hiv antibody/antigen screen)was positive, the reaction was low the doctor told her that she was infected about 2 months ago ..i did the test (serum) yesterday and that was negative ..if i was the one who infected her ..i shold be infected for a longer time,then wold that show on my test ? and does she need to wait 2 weeks to do the same test as i did ? wich one shold i rely on ? please help me ...thank you

If your girlfriend has only had a reactive (positive) preliminary HIV-antibody/antigen screening test, she would not yet be considered HIV positive! She needs a confirmatory, more specific test, such as a Western Blot, which must also be positive before she would be considered to have a "positive HIV test!" I have my doubts the doctor who discussed her test results with her knew what he was talking about. There is no way that a routine HIV-antibody/antigen screening test can determine when someone might have been infected! I'm also suspicious about the doctor's claim that the test showed a "low reaction."

Your HIV test is negative. You did not transmit the virus to your girlfriend. In fact if your girlfriend's only potential HIV exposure was you, then her preliminary positive HIV-antibody test must be a "false positive." There are a number of reasons for false-positive HIV-antibody tests. You can read about these in the archives. There is also an entire chapter devoted to HIV testing. Check it out! I would suggest your girlfriend repeat her HIV-antibody test (with confirmatory Western Blot, if initial antibody test is positive) as soon as convenient. She does not need to wait two weeks. From what you've told me so far, there is a fairly good chance your girlfriend is HIV negative ("false positive").

Good luck to you both. I'm here if you need me.

Come on doc, tell us the truth!
What can be a good "match" with Isentress for a nave patient ??