single combination test for HIV-1/HIV-2
Mar 31, 2009
Hi Doctor! Hope you are well. I think what you are doing is amazing! my question is:
how does a single combination test for hiv 1/2 work? and is it extremely accurate in detecting hiv 2? i'm concerned about hiv 2 because of possible exposure with a man from ghana, africa.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Yes, the HIV-2 component of a combined HIV-1/2 antibody test is extremely accurate. If it wasn't, it would never have gained FDA approval. You can think of the HIV-1/2 test as two separate tests run on the same blood specimen, OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Fear Of Hiv In Hypodermic Needles On The Ground
- What Are The Best Exercises For Peripheral Neuropathy?
- Can I Get Hiv From Touching An Infected Persons Blood?
- What Can Make Hiv False Positive Results?
- When Do Swollen Lymph Appear With Hiv?
- How Bad Will The Sore Throat And Muscle Aches Be When You Have Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.