The POPE (and Palin)

Dr. Bob,

I think the world of you but don't you think you're being a bit tough on the Pope. (Your recent post is attached below. Is what he said really so bad?

Also, what do you think will ultimately become of Sarah Palin?

Zeb

Pope Needs Sex Education Mar 26, 2009

I just read an article and the Pope recently stated that condoms are not the answer to help combat HIV. Abstinence is the way to go. He's just not realistic. Is he nuts? I think the message is dangerous and sex is just way too much fun. I like to see a particular escort and if it wasn't for condoms I would be in danger every time I see her. With all due respect to the Vatican, Please tell your readers to ignore the Pope's advice and protect themselves.

Al

Hi Al,

Is the Pope nuts? Well, let's see, he parades around in a white dress and dreadful looking hat; he believes homosexuality is an abomination and that two people of the same sex who are committed and in love should not be married; he believes in virgin births, exorcisms and that Adam and Eve had a conversation with a talking snake; and, oh yes, he's never had sex himself. So is he nuts? Yep. Totally loony tunes as far as I can tell. Isn't he just the kind of guy you want to get sexual advice from??? His comments have been condemned by all scientific organizations as well as by anyone with even a modicum of common sense or moral fortitude. I doubt the higher powers are pleased with his indefensible and dangerous recommendations. Shame on him!

Hi Zeb,

No, I really don't believe I was being tough on the pope! I merely said he was totally loony tunes. That's just a fact. Maureen Dowd, op-ed columnist for the New York Times, today wrote: "As international lunacy goes, it was hard to beat the pope saying that condoms spread AIDS." And Britain's premier medical journal, "The Lancet," wrote a scathing editorial this week as well. All those years of celibacy and of wearing dresses have obviously warped the pontiff's thinking on this issue. He's a nutter who deserves to be netted and locked away. I'll reprint some additional information about The Lancet's editorial below.

As for Sarah Palin, what will ultimately become of her? I really don't think her political future looks very bright. Perhaps she'll eventually move to Paris. That way she'll be able to see Africa from her porch!

Pope "Publicly Distorted Scientific Evidence" During Comments About Condoms, HIV, Lancet Editorial Says

March 27, 2009

"The Vatican felt the heat from an unprecedented amount of international condemnation last week after Pope Benedict XVI made an outrageous and wildly inaccurate statement about HIV/AIDS," a Lancet editorial says. It adds that the Roman Catholic Church's "ethical opposition to birth control and support of marital fidelity and abstinence in HIV prevention is well known. But, by saying that condoms exacerbate the problem of HIV/AIDS, the pope has publicly distorted scientific evidence to promote Catholic doctrine on this issue."

The editorial says, "Whether the pope's error was due to ignorance or a deliberate attempt to manipulate science to support Catholic ideology is unclear." It adds, "But the comment still stands, and the Vatican's attempts to tweak the pope's words, further tampering with the truth, is not the way forward." According to the editorial, when "any influential person, be it a religious or political leader, makes a false scientific statement that could be devastating to the health of millions of people, they should retract or correct the public record." It concludes, "Anything less from Pope Benedict would be an immense disservice to the public and health advocates, including many thousands of Catholics, who work tirelessly to try and prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS worldwide" (Lancet, 3/28).

OraQuick Test
UNDETECTED VIRAL LOAD