OraQuick Test

Hey Doc, my ex-wife and I had unprotected sex while she was on her period. Normally I wouldn't do this, but 2 weeks ago both of us had OraQuick tests done by our local health clinic and both results came back negative. She has been living with me for 5 months now, and the chances of her having slept with someone else is extremely low since she spends 99% of her time with me.

I know the risk of pregnancy during this time is decreased, albeit it's still there. My question is this...

How reliable is the OraQuick test? I'm assuming both of us are negative since we've only been with each other in the last 3-5 months.

Am I correct in thinking this, or did I put myself at risk?

Thanks Dr. Bob. How are you and Steve doing by the way?

Sincerely,

Joe

Hi Joe,

"Normally I wouldn't do this . . . ." Normally you would do what? Have sex with your "ex-wife" or have unprotected sex with a partner while she was on her period? Oh wait, I see that your ex has been living with you for five months and spends 99% of her time with you. Hmm . . . Joe, you seem to spend more time with your "ex" that most husbands spend with non-ex wives! Perhaps you are in the midst of a reconciliation?

Assuming your assumptions are accurate including that you both were monogamous for three to five months and you both OraQuicked negative two weeks ago, you are definitively HIV negative. Congrats and WOO-HOO! Maybe you ought to consider remarrying your ex!

Be well.

Infected with genitals herpes simplex but HIV?
The POPE (and Palin)