Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OraQuick Test
Mar 29, 2009

Hey Doc, my ex-wife and I had unprotected sex while she was on her period. Normally I wouldn't do this, but 2 weeks ago both of us had OraQuick tests done by our local health clinic and both results came back negative. She has been living with me for 5 months now, and the chances of her having slept with someone else is extremely low since she spends 99% of her time with me.

I know the risk of pregnancy during this time is decreased, albeit it's still there. My question is this...

How reliable is the OraQuick test? I'm assuming both of us are negative since we've only been with each other in the last 3-5 months.

Am I correct in thinking this, or did I put myself at risk?

Thanks Dr. Bob. How are you and Steve doing by the way?

Sincerely,

Joe

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Joe,

"Normally I wouldn't do this . . . ." Normally you would do what? Have sex with your "ex-wife" or have unprotected sex with a partner while she was on her period? Oh wait, I see that your ex has been living with you for five months and spends 99% of her time with you. Hmm . . . Joe, you seem to spend more time with your "ex" that most husbands spend with non-ex wives! Perhaps you are in the midst of a reconciliation?

Assuming your assumptions are accurate including that you both were monogamous for three to five months and you both OraQuicked negative two weeks ago, you are definitively HIV negative. Congrats and WOO-HOO! Maybe you ought to consider remarrying your ex!

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Infected with genitals herpes simplex but HIV?
Next
The POPE (and Palin)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.