please please answer my question (MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUM)

dr. bob first i have to say that this is great work that you do here, my situation is the following I have never had unprotected sex with any women, however I have performed unprotected cunnilingus on several women, I however have come down with Molluscum contagiosum on my penis, from what my dermatologist tells me this is most likely sexually transmitted, my question is could this virus have gotten through the condom? or could I have gotten it some other way, also I read this is a first marker of hiv infection but I am confused if they are referring to the primary infection or to a later infection, I hope you will answer, but I understand if you don't, because you have a lot of questions to answer, I hope when I gain some economic stability to donate to your wonderful organization

sorry i forgot to add another question (Submitted Mar 28, 2009)

sorry remember me (i just wrote you about Molluscum contagiosum) about this I know i've already sent you one, will Molluscum contagiosum cause a false positive? thanks once again, I know i should just get tested but I'm just waiting for the three months to pass by (in which i have chosen to remain celibate) so i don't really go out and have become increasingly scared that i may have hiv from my promiscuous behavior with promiscuous people so i surf the web for information and this is as good a site as i have found on any subject may you keep living and doing a wonderful work for a long long time

Molluscum contagiosum cannot permeate intact latex or polyurethane. No way. No how. This type of infection is spread by skin-to-skin contact. (See below.) It can occur in neggies or virally enhanced folks. In people with compromised immune systems from any cause, Molluscum contagiosum can be more severe and difficult to treat.

Molluscum contagiosum will not alter the results of HIV tests whatsoever.

Not in Archives! Molluscum contagiousm (sp?) Jun 17, 2007

I'm a sexually active male who has NEVER had intercourse without a condom. In the last month, I've noticed that I've contracted molluscum below my belly button and on my pelvis and inner thigh. Reading up on this, some sites say this disease is associated with HIV. WHAT???? I'm totally freaking out Bob, my heart rate is going supersonic! Does this mean that I may have contracted HIV???

Calm that "supersonic" heart rate down. The vast majority of cases of molluscum contagiosum have absolutely nothing to do with HIV! Molluscum contagiosum is a generally benign skin disease caused by a human poxvirus that is transmitted by close contact. And that includes sex! Swimming pools are another common vector for transmission. Skin that is inflamed or whose integrity is comprised in some other way is more susceptible. The incubation period is two weeks to six months. In most cases the disease is self-limited and resolves spontaneously in three to four months in folks with normal immune systems.

As for the HIV connection, molluscum contagiosum occurs with increased frequency in HIVers with advanced-stage disease and compromised immune systems. In AIDS patients the disease is more generalized, severe and persistent.

So does having molluscum contagiosum mean you have contracted HIV??? The short answer is no. The longer answer is nope.

Dr. Rob, your input please? (HEPATITIS C AND DELAYED HIV SEROCONVERSION)
Infected with genitals herpes simplex but HIV?