Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Informed new kid on the block!
Mar 29, 2009

Dr. Bob

You're a beautiful man and a true professional. I'll take your advice and I'll read up on safer sex practices in the forum on (oral sex). Condoms are the way, and I need to embrace them, for both health and sanity. I feel confident that I've got the Ace (GOOD LUCK KARMA) in my hip pocket. You truly do a great service here!!! Ill get a check up this year when its time. No hurry and no worry. Ill continue to safely explore sexual horizons.

No love without a latex glove!

Respectfully, Informed New Kid on the Block

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey New Kid,

Welcome to the block. I'm confident you'll have a fine (and safe) time here! I'm in your hip pocket, anytime you need me, OK?

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Scared Newbie (HELP) Mar 28, 2009

Doc,

Please help... I've been curious for a long time and finally went for it (last night). I met a guy online and we had unprotected oral sex and protected (latex condom) anal sex (top and bottom). He said he was HIV negative. The condom did not break but I'm still alittle scared. Do you think that I need to run out and get tested? I'm sure its just first time jitters. I've read a lot of your posts, but can I get alittle bit of "GOOD LUCK KARMA"

Scared Newbie

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Scared Newbie,

Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. HIV cannot penetrate intact latex. No way. No how.

Unprotected oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. You can read much more about oral sex in the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter devoted to the tasty topic. Have a look.

Do you need to run out and get tested? No. In fact if negative, it wouldn't even provide you with any useful information. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. If you feel you need an HIV test you should wait until the 3 month mark. While you're waiting why not peruse the wealth of information on this site and in the archives? Rather than "Scared Newbie," you should be "the informed new kid on the block!"

Good-luck karma sent!

Be well. (I'm confident you are.)

Stay well. Stay safe. Stay informed.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Next
Dr. Rob, your input please? (HEPATITIS C AND DELAYED HIV SEROCONVERSION)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.