Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not your average 'TATTOO' Q&A
Mar 27, 2009

I recently went to a place to have my boyfriend get a tattoo removed. The man who got his before my boyfriend was telling me he has had HIV for 20 years. I'm worried if there is any way to transmit HIV through tattoo removal? I believe it's through laser. I wasn't in the room so I don't know if the laser is all that's used.

$50 donation for your foundation!

~NOTE~ For 'Not your usual TATTOO Q&A" (Submitted Mar 26, 2009)

Please add along with my other post, that in the tattoo removal, blood is present during the process. Does this change any risk, or no because it's a laser being used. Again, not sure what instruments are actually being used during tattoo removal.

I will greatly appreciate your help, I looked in archives and kind find a thing that has to do with this.

$50 donation as promised.

Positive energy sent your way!! :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

So you accompany your boyfriend to get his "this bud's for you" tattoo removed from his butt and you're worried because the guy who had his "I love you Bruno" tattoo removed just prior was HIV positive? Relax. The HIV-transmission risk would be nonexistent assuming standard precautions were used. There are a variety of techniques available for tattoo removal, including laser. Yes, there would be some blood and oozing that occurs during the procedure, but again this would not be a concern assuming standard universal precautions were used. (These precautions are indeed routine and standard.) I see absolutely no cause for concern, but if you're worried, call the tattoo-removal place and ask them about the HIV-prevention procedures they have in place for the tattoo-removal process. They should be able to reassure you as well.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Dr. Bob

Previous
WIF equivocal test results
Next
Help Please! $100 Donation!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.