Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i admit i'm now a nervous wreck
Mar 26, 2009

i'm very distressed. i just had protected vaginal sex with a prostitute and after the intercourse, as we chat, she revealed that 10 days ago she had an encounter of spilled semen of another client. i'm extremely worried that my durex extra-safe will fail on me as her being in the early stage, will be highly infectious (if the guy is +ve). dr bob i have two questions. 1) there was no evident breakage in my condom. does it mean my risk is essentially non-existent as in most of your replies to people? pls pls pls advice me thoroughly on this. 2) does receiving rimming carry no risk for HIV transmission at all? 3) the following day after the episode, i have stinging sensation along my urethra but no discharge or pain when urinating. is this suggestive of any STIs? i'll be donating more than usual this time for a good luck charm from you. do remember to attach enough postage stamp to reach me cuz i really need it! thank you dr!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Yep! HIV cannot permeate intact latex. Consequently if your "durex extra-safe" was used properly and did not break, your risk would be essentially nonexistent.

2. There have been no documented cases of HIV transmission from rimming or getting rimmed. However, you could contract other STDs from unprotected rimming.

3. Doubtful, but your doctor could easily check this out for you.

4. Good-luck karma sent, with extra postage as requested.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Negative HIV test but reactive? Negative Western Blot
Next
Pope Needs Sex Education

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.