Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WOOO-Freakin-HOO
Mar 26, 2009

Hey doc, its the idiot from Miami again. Remember the not so bright dude that was banging the girl on the tidy bowl in the bathroom at the party with out a wrapper and then was worried about how she migght get around the block a bit... Well I took your advice grew some balls and got tested... NEGATIVE.. DUUUDDEE I feel so much better. For all of you wondering if you should get tested DO IT! I thought I had every symptom in the book. That rash must have just been a alergic reaction to the new protein shake I was taking... I have been beside myself with stress and today I feel alive once again. 4 months after the fact with a oral test that took 20 minutes at the clinic, which is pretty conclusive right DOC? Well worth the 50.00 donation. Doc, I can't thank you enough had it not been for your guidence, support and info I got off this site Id have been a wreck and would have never had the testicular fortitude to go get tested... YOU SIR ARE FREAKIN MAN!!!!!! Thanks again Doc,you and your work here are amazing!

The Idiot in Miami

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Miami Guy,

Your four-month negative rapid test is indeed conclusive and WOO-de-freakin'-HOO-able. Congratulations on your negative test and impressive newly grown set of testicular fortitude!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Doc, i'm beggin ya to help me out here Mar 8, 2009

Hey doc, I asked a question before and still haven't seen the answer. Please I'm going out of my mind here. Here is the scenario of a not so bright guy (me)and a chick he met at a party. 13 weeks ago exactly I had unprotected sex with this girl whom I later found out has been around the block. It was a one time encounter and I have no reason to beleive that she is HIV positive. To be honeset any exposure would have been short lived because we weren't doin the deed very long, only about 3 minutes before someone came knocking on the bathroom door. Like I said I'm not all that bright. However, the paranoia is still haunting me. At week 8, I had a sore throat. I took some antibiotics and it went away after 2 days. Then at week 10, I had a slight rash on my chest and stomach. nothing big at all, not even sure you could call it a rash more like light blotchy skin.... So help me out here what are the odds of such a one time encounter? The paranoia is driving me nuts!!! To the point where I am almost looking for symtpoms now. How long does it take for symtpoms to show up, I read 3-5 weeks which puts me way out of range at the time of my ars "syptoms". No fevers or anything crazy like that. Please help me doc, what do you thinks of those syptoms at those weeks... the stress alone is gonna make me sick.. I got 50 bucks for your foundation if you can give me some straight answers.

Thanks,

The idiot in Miami

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Miami-guy,

Why is it everyone wants "straight answers" from the gay doc? Oh well, here you go!

So you're worried about unprotected sex with a random chick you later found out had been "around the block." Dude, you were banging her on the tidy bowel in the powder room at the party where you just met!!! So what was your first clue that she may have been around the block before? You seem to possess a keen sense for the obvious!

Here's the scoop. It's very straightforward.

1. Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently you need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark (symptoms or no symptoms!).

2. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

3. Acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) symptoms generally occur several (2-3) weeks after HIV primary infection.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test at three months is negative. Check out the archives of this forum. You should find the information there very reassuring.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Will Masturbation Give you any infections...
Next
Dr. Bob, please answer my concern.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.