Re: "Just Once is Indeed Enough"

Doctor Bob,

RE: Post 23 Mar "Just Once is Indeed Enough"

Per this post " just thought I would share my story with those who think HIV is a gay problem !!! I am a heterosexual guy, and up until three years ago everything was great !! I had one night of unprotected vaginal sex with a prostitute, thinking that HIV can only be transmitted to homosexuals !! What a dumbass. Anyway, after three years, I started experiencing swollen lymoh nodes which seemed to trave around my body, on area at a time. Then oral thrush started. That's when I freaked out and went to see a Dcotor. Well, guess what !! The doctor just listened to symptoms, and said these are the most common HIV symptoms, and I have to go see an HIV specialist. He didn't even blink. And now it is me with a big regret in my life. So it is possible indeed to get infected by just one mistake. Listen to Doc and use latex condoms at all times and at all costs."

This person is saying that their doctor made a sort of diagnosis of HIV and sent this person to a HIV specialist without a HIV test!?!

You tell your readers religiously - you cannot diagnose HIV based on symptoms alone.

This makes me think - maybe some doctors do? Maybe the HIV test is irrelevant or unreliable and that symptoms specific to HIV are enough for a diagnosis? Very concerning - particularly for the worried wells out there who have had negative tests but still have symptoms.

Im a little confused about one this though - you said in your reply "I agree with your premise"... What do you mean by this?

Wow, you really are a nervous nellie, aren't you?

This person's doctor obviously just didn't want to deal with this problem so he referred him to an HIV specialist. Some doctors, like some people in general, just don't want to be involved with anything even remotely related to HIV/AIDS. (Sad, but true.) This doctor did not make a diagnosis. He made a referral. It was a premature referral in my opinion as I indicated in my response. (See below.)

As for the premise I was agreeing with, it had to do with the possibility that a single night of unprotected vaginal sex could result in HIV. I clearly also said I did not agree he should be sent to an HIV specialist without so much as an HIV-screening test. As I have repeatedly stated, symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. OK? Now can't you go back to worrying about something else? Perhaps invasion by space aliens or Sarah Palin becoming president or whatever?

Just once is indeed possible !! Please post ! Mar 23, 2009

Hey Doc,

I just thought I would share my story with those who think HIV is a gay problem !!! I am a heterosexual guy, and up until three years ago everything was great !! I had one night of unprotected vaginal sex with a prostitute, thinking that HIV can only be transmitted to homosexuals !! What a dumbass. Anyway, after three years, I started experiencing swollen lymoh nodes which seemed to trave around my body, on area at a time. Then oral thrush started. That's when I freaked out and went to see a Dcotor. Well, guess what !! The doctor just listened to symptoms, and said these are the most common HIV symptoms, and I have to go see an HIV specialist. He didn't even blink. And now it is me with a big regret in my life. So it is possible indeed to get infected by just one mistake. Listen to Doc and use latex condoms at all times and at all costs.

Although I agree with your premise, I must also say I disagree with your doctor sending you directly to an HIV specialist without even doing an HIV test!

HIV over 50 (HIV IN OLDER FOLKS, 2009)
dr bob is real,and this site is so very genuine!!