Hot Cross Buns

Dr Bob, I bought a packet of hot cross buns sealed in plastic wrapping yesterday morning. Today after lunch I opened them and ate them and gave them to my kids.

As I was packing up the rest I noticed that there was a small hole pierced in the bag that I definately didnt do.

If someone injected them with HIV or blood would the virus survive inside the bun/bag and be able to infect us via handling the buns (the kids pulled them apart) or eating them? It was around 29 hrs since they were bought from the shop.

Mom of 3

Re: Hot Cross Buns (Submitted Mar 25, 2009)

PS

I have been searching the internet looking for an answer to my question.

I have read some reports that sugar actually enhances the HIV virus - this would mean that the sugar in the buns would help keep the virus alive or replicate?

Hello Mom of Three,

My response to your concerns about the small hole in your packet of hot-cross buns is the same as I gave to the guy who worried that someone was injecting HIV into his condoms. (See below.)

By the way, hot cross bun frosting does not keep HIV alive or increase viral replication.

Suspect that condoms were tampered with Mar 25, 2009

Recently i bought a 12 pack of Durex condoms from wal-mart. I used one the night i bought them, and when i got home i noticed the box had a slash on it. It was like a scratch all the way down the box. Most of the scratch did not penetrated completely through the cardboard, however there was about 1 inch of the scratch that did penetrate all the way through the cardboard. I am worried that someone might have deliberately cut the box and injected an STD into the condoms. Could it be possible to contract an STD (such as AIDS) in this way. I am pretty sure that the box was cut when i bought it because i did nothing to it except lay it in the seat of my car.

You are actually worried someone at your local Piggly Wiggly pharmacy deliberately cut the box of condoms you bought and injected an STD into the condoms???? Whoa dude! Just how much crazy powder did you put in your protein shake today? Did you ever consider it might just be the result of an overly aggressive stock boy with a box cutter opening a carton of Durex boxes prior to restocking the shelves? Do you really think homicidal psychotic HIV-infected whack-jobs are going to spend time trying to inject HIV into condoms? No, of course not. They are much too busy carefully arranging for concealed HIV-infected needles to stick people in the butt when they sit down in movie theaters and convincing little old ladies to dry their wet kitty cats in the microwave oven. Dude, your fears are unwarranted. Psychopaths are not interested in your condoms and Felix the Cat never exploded in a microwave, OK?

Blood got on my hand and I can't function....
Bad Labs or Bad Cocktail?