Will Herpes test detect HIV?
Mar 25, 2009
I have had a genital swab test done for Herpes. The test being done is a PCR test.
Because HIV can be detected by PCR does this mean that this test will detect HIV if it is present in my body?
Response from Dr. Frascino
Will a herpes test detect HIV? No, of course not. If it did, it would be called an HIV test, right? PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction. It's a laboratory technique used in many tests. It is not specific for HIV.
If you're concerned about HIV, you need an HIV-specific test.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
- Purple Spots After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Can I Use Vinegar To Find Out If I Have Std?
- How Long Does It Take To Show Signs Of Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.