Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Heroin Use
Mar 25, 2009

Dr Bob, I am in complete shock and distress at the moment. I have just found out that at a party in 1999, when I was 19, I was injected in the vein in my arm with heroin. I was drunk at the time and passed out (young and stupid) and never knew that this had ever happened until now.

I have never done drugs in my life and am absolutely disgusted with this.

I am a professional and am married with small children. This is not something I should have to be worrying about but I am terrified that I have was exposed to HIV or Hepatitis all those years ago.

I have had several tests over the years, as part of prenatal check ups etc. The last tests I had were done in January this year - HIV1&2 Ag/Ab test and Hep C and Hep B. They were negative.

Is there any way I could have been infected back then and not have produced antibodies to have a positive test?

I have read in the archives about delayed window periods and false negative testing and that IV drug use can cause false negative tests (Im not sure why but some posts mention this). Wouldnt this incident be classified as IV drug use?

Could I be infected from this in 1999 and not know if via HIV tests by now?

I feel like I am in a nightmare at the moment and life it at a standstill. Its too late to do anything about the people that did this now but all that matters now is that Im ok.

Kate.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Kate,

Your negative tests for HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B taken a decade after your experience with heroin are definitive and conclusive. Your nightmare is over. Remember nightmares are only scary dreams. They are not real. All, including you, is well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
raped by my husbands exbest friend
Next
PhD who made a colossal mistake

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.