HIV Heroin Use

Dr Bob, I am in complete shock and distress at the moment. I have just found out that at a party in 1999, when I was 19, I was injected in the vein in my arm with heroin. I was drunk at the time and passed out (young and stupid) and never knew that this had ever happened until now.

I have never done drugs in my life and am absolutely disgusted with this.

I am a professional and am married with small children. This is not something I should have to be worrying about but I am terrified that I have was exposed to HIV or Hepatitis all those years ago.

I have had several tests over the years, as part of prenatal check ups etc. The last tests I had were done in January this year - HIV1&2 Ag/Ab test and Hep C and Hep B. They were negative.

Is there any way I could have been infected back then and not have produced antibodies to have a positive test?

I have read in the archives about delayed window periods and false negative testing and that IV drug use can cause false negative tests (Im not sure why but some posts mention this). Wouldnt this incident be classified as IV drug use?

Could I be infected from this in 1999 and not know if via HIV tests by now?

I feel like I am in a nightmare at the moment and life it at a standstill. Its too late to do anything about the people that did this now but all that matters now is that Im ok.

Kate.

Hello Kate,

Your negative tests for HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B taken a decade after your experience with heroin are definitive and conclusive. Your nightmare is over. Remember nightmares are only scary dreams. They are not real. All, including you, is well.

raped by my husbands exbest friend
PhD who made a colossal mistake