Fingering-please help

Hi Dr Bob

About a year ago I had an encounter with a woman I met that night. We ended up in my hotel room and I fingered her and she briefly gave me oral sex. I did not have actual intercourse with her. My problem is a friend of teased me about contracting hiv!!! After a couple of days I began to get very stressed about the possibility. After 5 days and after much prodding of my lymph nodes i woke up in a sweat. I went to my doctors and she said I am unlikely to have contracted hiv and said my lymph nodes were not swollen even though I could feel them and struggled to swallow. The dr said that stress was causing the sweat and difficulty swallowing. I also began to develop a dry cough, although this only seemed to occur after having alcohol!!! After a month or two I also got floaters in my right eye again which my Dr and Optician said was a common occurence. I have seen my dr numerous times and he basically dismisses my fears. My questions are 1)Would ARS occur after only 5 days? 2) Are these symptons of ARS or possibly just stress?. 3) Is it possible to contract hiv just by fingering, even if she was very wet? I have also had anxiety problems in the past. Please help me Dr Bob. I will make a donation to your foundation.

Thank u in advance!!!!

Very stressed bloke

Hello Very Stressed Bloke,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent, assuming the skin on your fingers was intact. To specifically address your questions:

1. No.

2. Stress.

3. No (assuming the skin on your fingers was intact).

You report you've had anxiety problems in the past. Guess what? They're back!

My advice:

1. Get help for your anxiety issues. Psychotherapy, as well as some anti-anxiety medication, may well be beneficial.

2. Consider getting some better friends.

3. Believe your doctor!

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stop worrying!

Dr Bob, are you upset with me?
Grandfather and HIV (CASUAL CONTACT, 2009)