Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal sex and without penetration
Mar 25, 2009

Recently, I had sex with another guy in the hot-tub of a Bath House with another guy - status unknown. He placed his penis on my anus several times trying to hit the rectum, but there was no penetration. I stopped this activity almost immediately and resorted to mutual masturbation... 9 days latter I developed flu like symptoms, (sore throat, muscle and nerve pains, night sweats for about 3 weeks. I`ve had an HIV at 10 days and 37 days since the incident both tests negative. Now at 70 days post the incident the sore throat and muscle and nerve pains remains. Are these symptoms of HIV infection... What,s my next step...I`m in panic mode...Furtheremore are there other factors that may lower your CD4 cell count besides HIV. Is emotional stress and social isolation strong candidates.... Jim

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Jim,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. Your negative HIV tests out to 37 days are encouraging but not definitive. You would need to wait until the three-month mark for a definitive HIV test result.

Your symptoms are not HIV related.

Your next step? Hmm . . . perhaps a Valium or Xanax to treat your totally unwarranted "panic mode"??? Jim, your problem is irrational fear of HIV; not HIV itself, OK? Talk with your doctor and consider getting a referral to a therapist for counseling and/or trying an anti-anxiety medication.

Are there conditions other than HIV that can lower CD4 cell counts? Sure, lots of them. However, you don't have any of those conditions either. Emotional stress and social isolation are not strongly linked to CD4 cell decline; however, they can drive you totally bonkers and lead to depression and growing old, mean, grumpy, lonely and demented (like Cheney, for instance). So relax Max! Get some counseling and some self-confidence and start building a better social network, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Let me try again... Update!
Next
Dr Bob, are you upset with me?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.