Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My girlfriend of 1 year tested Negative, I'm I negative also?
Mar 23, 2009

Hello Dr. Frascino, thanks for the time to read my question. This website is vary useful. I am a straight male and I had unprotected sex with 5 girls before I met my current girlfriend. We been in a faithful relationship for about 1 year now. During this time my girlfriend and I had sex at least 100 times all unprotected and sometimes anal sex. She got a HIV rapid figer prick test few days ago and test result came back negative. Does that mean I most likly negative also? What are my chance of being positive? I plan on getting tested soon but still nervous. And what about other STD, I feel fine is there any necessary I need to be tested for other STD? Thanks for your time, hope to hear back from you soon.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Sorry Charlie. You can't use your girlfriend as a surrogate to determine your HIV status! A quick read through the archives will demonstrate there are many cases where one partner is HIV positive and despite numerous unprotected sexual encounters with her mate did not transmit the virus! The only way to determine your own HIV status is to get your own HIV test! I agree with your plan to be "tested soon." As for other STDs, if you've placed yourself at risk in the past and you want to check to make sure you don't have anything, an STD screen is very simple to perform. I'd suggest you get screened to put any residual worries permanently to rest. The odds are all in your favor that you are not infected with STDs, including HIV.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Will my Kaposi Sarcoma lesions go away after treatment?
Next
Protected anal

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.