6 weeks elisa 90 percent conclusive?

Hi Dr Bob, pls pls i beg u to answer my situation is desperate,i live in a society where hiv/aids is totally taboo and rejected no matter how it is presented and if infected suicide is the only solution to avoid shame dissgrace and humiliation including from your closest relatives even your parents wife and children,,unbelievable but true.Islam is not tolerant as theoretically presented,(i live in a n islamic society)so i'm under tremendous pressure and stress. I had receptive anal with a hiv+ guy on the 27 feb 09 and it is after the act that i discovered his status with a rapid home test kit,ever since and i do not know if it is psychological but on the 2nd week mark i had tonsils irritation 37.5 fever all this for two days and of course disturbed sleeps with sweating (still persisting).while tense and thinking of killing myself the thermometer shows 37.5 or 38.0 the tonsils are back to normal no other symptoms are apparent till now. my question is :do i have good chances of not beeing infected? beeing 62 shudn't the symptoms show earlier than with a younger person? Thank you for your time and reply your devoted Balango

Hello Balango,

Situations like yours, where you would consider ending your life due to a viral infection, are dramatic illustrations of how unconscionable, morally reprehensible and damaging repressive hyper-religious societies can be. How could any religion (or society) condone or encourage suicide due to an illness, any illness??? Somehow I don't believe the higher powers would be pleased. Suicide is never the answer!

It's true that unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. However, not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully!). In fact most exposures do not result in viral transmission!

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not infected. Your age would not affect when symptoms become manifest.

My advice:

1. Get an HIV test at three months and if negative repeat the test at the six-month mark for a definitive and conclusive result. It is true that the majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following primary infection with the virus.

2. Get help from a psychiatrist or psychotherapist to help with your "tremendous pressure and stress." A psychiatrist is definitely warranted if you continue to have thoughts of suicide.

3. Work towards changing the attitudes of your society, country and religion toward HIV/AIDS. It's a viral illness, nothing more. Attitudes toward HIV/AIDS will change when you and others demand it.

RUSSIAN ROULETTE AND GOOD KARMA (WESTERN BLOT TESTS , 2009)
Thank YOU!