|6 weeks elisa 90 percent conclusive?
Mar 18, 2009
Hi Dr Bob, pls pls i beg u to answer my situation is desperate,i live in a society where hiv/aids is totally taboo and rejected no matter how it is presented and if infected suicide is the only solution to avoid shame dissgrace and humiliation including from your closest relatives even your parents wife and children,,unbelievable but true.Islam is not tolerant as theoretically presented,(i live in a n islamic society)so i'm under tremendous pressure and stress. I had receptive anal with a hiv+ guy on the 27 feb 09 and it is after the act that i discovered his status with a rapid home test kit,ever since and i do not know if it is psychological but on the 2nd week mark i had tonsils irritation 37.5 fever all this for two days and of course disturbed sleeps with sweating (still persisting).while tense and thinking of killing myself the thermometer shows 37.5 or 38.0 the tonsils are back to normal no other symptoms are apparent till now. my question is :do i have good chances of not beeing infected? beeing 62 shudn't the symptoms show earlier than with a younger person? Thank you for your time and reply your devoted Balango
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Situations like yours, where you would consider ending your life due to a viral infection, are dramatic illustrations of how unconscionable, morally reprehensible and damaging repressive hyper-religious societies can be. How could any religion (or society) condone or encourage suicide due to an illness, any illness??? Somehow I don't believe the higher powers would be pleased. Suicide is never the answer!
It's true that unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. However, not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully!). In fact most exposures do not result in viral transmission!
Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not infected. Your age would not affect when symptoms become manifest.
1. Get an HIV test at three months and if negative repeat the test at the six-month mark for a definitive and conclusive result. It is true that the majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following primary infection with the virus.
2. Get help from a psychiatrist or psychotherapist to help with your "tremendous pressure and stress." A psychiatrist is definitely warranted if you continue to have thoughts of suicide.
3. Work towards changing the attitudes of your society, country and religion toward HIV/AIDS. It's a viral illness, nothing more. Attitudes toward HIV/AIDS will change when you and others demand it.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Elisa Test 3 Months Conclusive
- Is A 12 Week Elisa Hiv Test Conclusive?
- Muscle Ache After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Sore Throat After Sex With Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.