Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ ROOMMATE/ WORRIED ABOUT OWN HEALTH
Mar 17, 2009

I am a 22-year old white female, I recently moved out of an apt I was sharing with an HIV+ roommate, who just found out he is positive 2 months ago. While I never thought of myself as the phobic type living with him made me really uncomfortable and I had to get out for a few reasons below.

I want to know what my chances of getting HIV from him are due to the following behaviors: He missed the toilet and pooped on my rug a little (AND LEFT IT TO ME TO CLEAN!), and somehow he got poop on the toilet paper on the roll and when I went for it while using the bathroom myself I touched the poop. Then I got rid of the dirty paper and used the (what appeared to be) clean paper, he also spits a lot when he talks and he spit on me several times. I remember having a conversation with him and his spit hit my lip. Another time I could feel the spit all over my face in little splatters. Gross I know, and I told him to back up many times and he is really reckless with his condition and didn't listen to my requests. He also had diarrhea a lot and I always had to clean the toilet before I used it after him because he would get poop splatters on the bottom side of the toilet seat and I couldn't sit until I cleaned the poop and that is just gross. I used the clorox disinfecting wipes, is that good?

To make matters worse, like 3 days before my roommate told me he just found out his status is positive, I had oral sex with a guy I don't even know. He is 32 and I met him in a club and made a bad choice. I always thought you can't get HIV from oral sex, but this site is scaring me. He gave me oral sex, then I performed it on him for about 5 min. No deepthroating, nothing rough. I didn't let him come in my mouth. I am concerned because I have a tendency to chew on my own cheeks when I am tensed.

So between my HIV+ roommate, and my stupid choice to suck some stranger's d**K I AM REALLY AFRAID FOR MY HEALTH RIGHT NOW. A nurse at my university clinic told me that I need to be tested and that I was at risk. I just came from there and I'm more upset then when I went in.

What is your point of view? How high is my risk? I am freaking out and my friends and saying things like "what if your roommate stuck you with a needle in your sleep" etc. What if he did? Would I feel it? What are my chances? I am PETRIFIED PLEASE HELP I CAN'T EAT, SLEEP, STUDY, I AM PARALIZED.

P.S. This is a really good site by the way.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First of all, what's up with your poopy ex-roommate??? He missed the toilet and pooped on the rug?" Hmm . . . talk about bad aim (and poor manners!). I certainly understand why he's an "ex"-roommate. Despite the poop, the spittle and the diarrhea splatters, your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. Neither poop (liquid or otherwise) nor spittle is considered a risk for HIV transmission, unless it contains visible blood.

Next, your "friends" are saying things like "what if your roommate stuck you with a needle in your sleep"??? Gosh, what fine friends you have dearie! Your ex-roommate may be careless with some of his habits and hygiene, but I doubt he's a psychotic needle-wielding murderer who would stab you with an HIV-infected syringe while you were asleep! (Your friends have been watching too many horror movies lately!) Would you feel it? Care to take a guess? Shall we try an experiment? You go to sleep and then I'll stab you with a needle. I can assure you that you won't like it!

Regarding your oral encounter, oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. Take a read through the chapter in the archives devoted to oral sex. You should find the information there enlightening and reassuring. If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. I'm confident the result will be negative.

Now, stop worrying and start eating, sleeping and studying. And I'd also recommend getting some new and better friends!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Upset with Dr Bob...
Next
Anxiety kills me. BEGGING u to answer me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.