I dont know of any specialist who can answer my question. I should have gone to med. school myself.
Mar 15, 2009
Dr. Bob, I had an unprotected exposure with a unknown person. I got tested for HIV antibody 1 and 2 after 3 months after the exposure. Both the results came negative. My question to you is that for the past ten years i drink alcohol every day and i smoke a pack of cigarettes every day. They say that alcohol and smoking causes immunesuppression. My question to you is that Do you think my HIV antibody tests are false negative? Do you think my smoking and drinking might effect the HIV 1 and HIV 2 antibody test or can the alcohol/smoking effect the window period? I will donate tommorow itself. I have your address. Please answer my concern
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Daily alcohol and smoking a pack of cigarettes every day will not affect the accuracy of your HIV test.
2. Daily alcohol and smoking a pack of cigarettes very day will not affect the body's ability to make anti-HIV antibodies.
3. Daily alcohol and smoking a pack of cigarettes every day will not alter the duration of the window period.
4. However, daily alcohol and smoking a pack of cigarettes every day will kill you in a very painful and undignified fashion. Time to clean up your act. HIV is not your problem, but your alcohol and nicotine abuse does pose a very significant risk to your health. I strongly recommend you stop both immediately.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Pain In Penis After Topping With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Can Hpv Cause Pain?
- I Have Vaginal Irritation And Blisters
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.