searching for answers to child with HIV Newly diagnosed (PEDIATRIC HIV INFECTION INFORMATION, 2009))

I have a niece who is 12 yrs old she was just diagnosed with HIV.No one has explained everything in lay terms about her diagnoses. How do I answer her ?? about it and the tests that she will have (CD4 and Viral load).Disclosure etc.. Cannot find anything pertinent for her age so that she will understand..Can you tell mer of anywhere that I can find the aswers to these and any other ?? that she may have. Like pregnancy, marriage etc.. Thank you for your help

Your niece should have a pediatric HIV specialist monitoring her. That doctor should help in explaining her condition to her based on her age, maturity and level of understanding. The important thing for parents and family members is to always be honest. Answer her questions truthfully and directly. Don't try to give her more information than she asks for or needs. In other words you don't have to discuss marriage and pregnancy issues with a 12-year-old. Those topics may be on your mind, but I doubt your niece is thinking about them.

Regarding information on the Web, I would suggest you review the information at www.thebody.com/treat/children.html. The articles on that site address many of your concerns.

Give your niece a hug from me, OK?

fellow doctor needs help
Strep Throat Infection That Won't Go Away