Occuptional Blood Exposure!!Super donation!
Mar 14, 2009
About 1 1/2 years ago I had an unruly HIV+ patient spit blood at me! He had bit his tongue severely and got upset at me and spit his blood in my face. Mostly it got in my mouth. I was worried about cuts in my mouth or peeled lips...
I did not use PEP. Now, 1 1/2 years later I got 10 HIV tests done! 8 rapid oraquick advance. and 1 ELISA and 1 DNA by PCR.
ALL CAME OUT NEGATIVE!
Can I stop testing? Are these tests accurate and COMPLETELY CONCLUSIVE after 1 1/2 years??
I will send the money I would have used for another ELISA test, to donate to your foundation.
Thank you for you guidance!
Response from Dr. Frascino
Ten negative HIV tests (eight rapid OraQuick Advance, one ELISA and one DNA PCR) out to 1.5 years after an HIV exposure are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional testing is warranted. See below for a very similar case (wink, wink).
$200 promised along with good karma :) Mar 14, 2009
I wrote to you before about a 2 minute making out session with an HIV+ man about 1 1/2 years ago. I think it's just the idea that I was SO close to HIV that has completely taken over me! 1 1/2 years later I took 10 HIV tests, most of which are Rapid OraQuick Advance. All came out negative. I can't seem to shake the fear from my mind! Can I stop testing? I keep thinking about all the "what if's"! What if we both had cuts, what if we were both bleeding, what if his blood got into my tongue piercing. I don't know what to do. I'm so depressed and so bitter. I keep thinking what if the oraquick test that I took at AltaMed were inaccurate. Or the company (rapid screening center) I got an ELISA test from was fake.
Now I'm starting to fear that 1 1/2 years was too late to take a test.
I'm very depressed and completely and utterly miserable. Are my test completely, confidently and conclusively accuarte. Can I stop testing and move on?
I promise with all of myself, that I will donate $200 to your foundation. I just need your words of advice and your hopeful words. Please help me, I feel so lost.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Are 10 negative HIV tests 1.5 years after a two-minute make-out session with a virally enhanced hottie definitive and conclusive? Absofrickinlutely. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.
2. "Can I stop testing?" I don't know, can you??? Certainly you should have stopped long ago! Ten tests are completely unwarranted and highly excessive. Exactly what part of "HIV negative" are you having difficultly understanding?
3. "I'm very depressed and so bitter;" . . . "I'm completely and utterly miserable;" . . . "I keep thinking about all the what-ifs." These statements clearly indicate you are clinically depressed. Irrational obsessions and fear of HIV, despite overwhelming evidence you are HIV negative, can be a sign you are suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and/or clinical depression/anxiety. My advice is that you seek consultation with a psychiatrist or psychotherapist to help you confront and conquer your irrational and totally unwarranted fears. Only then will you be able to accept and believe the truly wonderful news that you are HIV negative!
Thank you for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated.
Be well. Remember HIV is not your problem, OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Headache After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Pain In Penis After Having Sex During Period What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Sore On Penis After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can I Catch Gonorrhea Without Having Sex?
- Side Effects Of Std
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.