Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

$200 promised along with good karma :)
Mar 14, 2009

I wrote to you before about a 2 minute making out session with an HIV+ man about 1 1/2 years ago. I think it's just the idea that I was SO close to HIV that has completely taken over me! 1 1/2 years later I took 10 HIV tests, most of which are Rapid OraQuick Advance. All came out negative. I can't seem to shake the fear from my mind! Can I stop testing? I keep thinking about all the "what if's"! What if we both had cuts, what if we were both bleeding, what if his blood got into my tongue piercing. I don't know what to do. I'm so depressed and so bitter. I keep thinking what if the oraquick test that I took at AltaMed were inaccurate. Or the company (rapid screening center) I got an ELISA test from was fake.

Now I'm starting to fear that 1 1/2 years was too late to take a test.

I'm very depressed and completely and utterly miserable. Are my test completely, confidently and conclusively accuarte. Can I stop testing and move on?

I promise with all of myself, that I will donate $200 to your foundation. I just need your words of advice and your hopeful words. Please help me, I feel so lost.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Are 10 negative HIV tests 1.5 years after a two-minute make-out session with a virally enhanced hottie definitive and conclusive? Absofrickinlutely. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

2. "Can I stop testing?" I don't know, can you??? Certainly you should have stopped long ago! Ten tests are completely unwarranted and highly excessive. Exactly what part of "HIV negative" are you having difficultly understanding?

3. "I'm very depressed and so bitter;" . . . "I'm completely and utterly miserable;" . . . "I keep thinking about all the what-ifs." These statements clearly indicate you are clinically depressed. Irrational obsessions and fear of HIV, despite overwhelming evidence you are HIV negative, can be a sign you are suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and/or clinical depression/anxiety. My advice is that you seek consultation with a psychiatrist or psychotherapist to help you confront and conquer your irrational and totally unwarranted fears. Only then will you be able to accept and believe the truly wonderful news that you are HIV negative!

Thank you for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Remember HIV is not your problem, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You!
Next
Occuptional Blood Exposure!!Super donation!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.