Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

$50 Testing Q&A
Mar 11, 2009

I had an incident 2 1/2 - 3 years ago (not sure if it was 2 1/2 years or 3 years ago) It was french/deep kissing for about 2 minutes. I have been living in fear this whole time and never got tested.

I called CDC and they said if there was blood present there could be a risk. Now I worry because I have a nasty habit of biting the inside of my cheeks, and peeling the skin on my lips. I also have lip and tongue piercing which I got 4 years ago, so I'm sure they're healed... I'm not sure if that increases the risk. Now I worry if he was bleeding. I know I would have noticed but I was drunk as a skunk! So all these thoughts are swimming in my head!!

Anywho, I'm terrified to get tested. I'm going to force myself this week!!!!! Is it o.k to get tested even if it's been 2 1/2 to 3 years ago? I know testing qualifications are to be done at 3-6 months after incident. Did I wait to long???

Can I take the test and count on the results?? even if years later? Antibodies will still be detectable??

$50 donation as promised!! I send positive energy your way! :)

P.S Give me some courage to get tested!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Is it OK to get tested 2.5 to 3 years after a potential exposure? Yes, absolutely. There is no such thing as waiting too long! The problem is that you have to wait at least three months to get an accurate/definitive test result. Anytime after that three-month window period is fine.

Your HIV-acquisition risk from two minutes of tonsil hockey is negligible to nonexistent. Your fears are completely unwarranted. I'm absolutely confident you'll be WOO-HOOing like a banshee in heat when you see the results. You'll also be kicking yourself in the butt for wasting 2.5 years worrying over nothing!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Super Duper Fast Question
Next
safe sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.