false HIv result
Mar 11, 2009
Hi, I hope you can answer my question soon as me and my husband are really worried. my husband has not exposed to HIV virus at all, no sex with somebody other than me no needle sharing and he is healthy. in order to apply for immigration we both went for HIV testing (EIA). Mine came out negative, his came out inclusive. they sent out his blood sample for WB screening. WB screening came out indeterminate (gp160 was indeterminate and all other proteins were absent). Our physician asked us to do the viral load test, but the result of this test will come out in 2 weeks and it is really hard for us to wait that long. We thought that maybe meanwhile we are waiting for viral load result we can do the rapid test, so we have done it yesterday and thanks to GOD it was negative. I have read in web that sometimes indeterminate results is because some thing interferes, like vaccination, and we were vaccinated with Measley, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus vaccines and Tuberculosis Skin test (PPD) was done on US(for immigration requirement) a week before we did the EIA test. Here are my questions: 1-How accurate is rapid test? in comparison with EIA. 2- since we have done the rapid test a week after EIA (2 week after vaccination), can it mean that the vaccination affect or "every thing that had interfered in our first test" was gone by the time we have done rapid test. can we trust on rapid test result? Many thanks,
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Both EIA and rapid tests are extremely accurate.
2. I agree your husband is HIV negative. The exact cause of the indeterminate EIA and WB may never be exactly identified, as there are a number of potential causes. You can read about these in detail in the archives. It's possible the vaccinations may have triggered some cross-reacting antibodies. I'm confident the viral load test will reveal an "undetectable" level confirming your husband's negative HIV status.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore Testicles After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Do Stds Cause Diarrhea?
- How Long Do You Have To Wait To Have Sex After Using Premarin Vaginal Cream?
- Surveys On Sexually Transmitted Diseases
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.