Please interprete my HIV test results

Hello Doctor,

I had a sex (with withdrawal technique) with my fiance who is diagnosed with AIDS later on (recently).It was just a beginning of our relationship. I developed yeast like symptoms within 24 hours- thick white vaginal discharge, lower left pelvic pain and burning in urination. I got tested after 1 month and 3 days for HIV by ELISA, viral load quantitative culture test as directed by my doctor. All tests came negative but I am still worried. My doctor is more in a favor of them to be -ve after VL test but has recommended me for ELISA testing after 3 months. After knowing this information what do you think it could be? Please note that my fiance is diagnosed -ve for all other STDs. Please do reply. I will highly appreciate it.

Thank you.- L25

Hello L25,

Your symptoms 24 hours after unprotected sex with your HIV-positive fiancé would not be related to HIV acquisition. The symptoms of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) take two to three weeks to appear after primary HIV infection.

Your negative ELISA and undetectable quantitative HIV viral load at one month are extremely encouraging; however, I agree with your doctor: You need a follow-up ELISA test at the three-month mark. The CDC also recommends a final follow-up ELISA at six months because you had a significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive.

I would suggest both you and your fiancé peruse the information in the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter devoted to magnetic couples (one positive, one negative).

Good luck to you both.

fellow doctor needs help
More than love in the air