Father Dealing with Sons Recent HIV Results

My son just got diagnosed with hiv. I don't know anything about the virus. There was an incident that just happened and I'm worried.

We were making dinner, and my son was cutting a vegetable and cut himself. He ran to the sink and rinsed him finger. This was 3 days ago. Today I was cutting a huge red bell pepper and dropped it in the sink...the same place my son bled. And I'm not sure if he could have bled in the sink today because he was changing his band-aid over the sink today. I rinsed the pepper off slightly and began to cut it. As I went in with the knife, the juice from inside squirted in my eye. Is there any possibility that the pepper fell where my sons blood was and got on the pepper, then the juice mixed with the blood got into my eye to infect me?

I feel so ashamed and embarrassed to even ask this. I am just so depressed about the recent news and my mind is going crazy. Please help, and any advice or communities you know of to overcome this fear and help my son better, please let me know!

I will send a donation on behalf of my son and I. People like you give me hope. Thank you!

You are concerned that the juice from a red pepper that squirted in your eye while you were cutting it could have infected you with HIV because the pepper fell in the sink where your son rinsed his bloody finger three days ago? Hmm . . . Dad, I think you feel "ashamed and embarrassed" because you realize, at least on some level, that your fears are completely irrigational. Instead of supporting your son through this difficult situation, you are paralyzed by your own irrational, totally unwarranted HIV fears. I would strongly recommend you see a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you confront and conquer these fears. I would also suggest you spend some time reviewing the wealth of information on this site, which I'm confident you would find both enlightening and encouraging. Begin with the "Just Diagnosed Resource Center," which can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under "What's Hot," and then proceed on to the archives of this forum where you'll find entire chapters devoted to HIV nonsexual transmission and HIV nonsexual prevention.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). You should also advise your son about this Web site, as he may find it helpful as well.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed well!)

Best Friend Has HIV and Toothbrush
Negative Partner's Inconclusive Test Reults (HIV TRAVEL BAN !!!!!!!!!!! )