Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dust and Dead Skin
Mar 9, 2009

Can dust carry HIV? I read that dust is dead skin accumulated by people.

I frequent this warehouse store that carries food and cleaning supplies for cheaper, and it's always sooooo dusty on everything. The cleaning supplies I buy, the packages of paper cups and plates. Anywho, the owner has HIV and I'm sure people with HIV have gone to the store, what if their dead skin, as well as every person, is what's making the dust?

Can HIV be in dead skin/ dust?

Hypothetically, Could HIV blood or semen enter through my hands through skin that is red and cracked from dryness?

I will donate $40, I don't have a lot of money, I don't even have medical insurance where I can just go and talk to a doctor. I need your help.

Can I send cash?

Gracias GUAPO!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Guapo,

HIV transmission from "dead skin dust"? No, absolutely not. By the way, dust is composed of lots of things other than dead skin cells. For instance it contains house dust mites; pet danders; particulate matter from clothes, furniture and food; and loads of other stuff. HIV, by the way, does not survive very long at all outside the body.

Fresh HIV-tainted fluids are a risk if there is non-intact skin. Mere dryness would not be a problem. "Cracked" could be a problem, depending on the severity.

Thank you for your donation and yes, the foundation does accept cash (as well as all other forms of monetary gifts). The foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Thank you. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Symptoms and Accutane
Next
Maggot's

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.