Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blastocystis hominis. Do I Have HIV?
Mar 8, 2009

Dear Doctor:

8 months ago I had an unprotected encounter with a prostitute, I have had close encounters with prositutes but everytime with a condom except that one time. Last Months (January and February 2009) I've been feeling sick, I've had nausea, stomach pains, and I've been having an allergic reaction everyday after I eat at night. So I wento to the doctor they gave me these tests and one test said I had Blastocystis hominis, Does That mean I contracted HIV, or does that happen fequently to other patients without necessarily having HIV? Very worried, please help I live in Colombia

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Very Worried Colombian Guy,

Having a positive test for Blastocystis hominis means simply you have a Blastocystis hominis infection. It does not automatically mean you have HIV! The only way to determine if you're HIV infected is to get an HIV test.

You had unprotected sex with a prostitute. Consequently you've placed yourself at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. You need an HIV test whether or not you have any symptoms.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv risk ratio (HIV STATISTICS, 2009)
Next
deflazacort 30

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.