Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

$40 burger!
Mar 8, 2009

I had a quick question. I will donate $40 for some advice. Today I bought a hamburger and 15 mins later when I got home, I put it in the microwave for 1 min. By that time it was steaming hot... I couldn't bite into it right away. I took off the bun so it could cool, and I noticed what looked like blood on the patty. Let's say someone with HIV bled on my burger and then I ate it. I had peeled my lips earlier (2 hours prior) so they were bleeding, so it was a pretty fresh cut....would this be a risk? What if I had cuts in my mouth??

I'm trying to be rational and say it was some tomato dripping that was in it that I took out before I went to heat it, because I hate tomato!!

Please give me some words of wisdom. I would truly appreciate any advice!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You state: "I'm trying to be rational . . . ." OK. Exactly how rational is it to consider someone with HIV would bleed on your burger??? Do you also worry about being mauled by a rabid Tasmanian devil who escaped from a traveling Australian circus? Dude, even in the "so remote it's essentially nonexistent" hypothetical situation that an HIVer hemorrhaged onto your In-N-Out burger, your HIV-acquisition risk remains nonexistent. (You had a 15-minute interval since picking it up at the drive-through; you zapped it in the microwave; and you only took a nibble off the bun frevinsakes!)

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Stop worrying. Enjoy your burger and save me some fries.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Need advice
Next
Life is not fair nor do you! (WHY DON'T YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION, 2009)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.