HIV from cotton and spoon

Hello Dr.

As a gay male I have come to terms with anxiety about HIV. I get tested at least 4 times a year. I do this even though in the last 6 years I had been in a completely monogamous relationship. Since breaking up my boyfriend i have not had sex at least a year. In the last year I have started to inject heroin, I know this is so dumb and no excuess for playing with fire. I usually do heroin twice a month and the last time I did was with a girl i know. I don't know her status of hiv she says she is negative but she a hardcore junky and been that way for 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if she was hiv postive. Well when we did heroin we didn't share needles but the second time we shoot up that night we also mixed a little bit of cocaine in a seperate spoon mixed with vinegar. I know she used her needle to draw up the vinegar and mix it in the spoon. We also used the same cotton in the cocaine mixture. After our first time shooting up that night we flushed our needles with plan water from seperate glasses. I added more vinegar to my needle full of heroin and cocaine because I thought that it would kill the virus. I was a total idiot that night. Does vinegar kill the virus? It had been about 1 hour since we shot up the first time and this second time when the cross contamination could of happened. Can the virus live that long in the needle? I've asked her her status and she says I have nothing to worry about. Well I am worried about Hiv and also about becoming addicted to drugs. What do you think my chances are of being hiv positive? I know 3 monthes is the time they say wait to get tested but I've heard that most of public would test postive in a few weeks???

thank you so much!

I doubt you really have to worry all the much about HIV. Injecting heroin will most likely kill you long before HIV could. Dude, it is seriously time to clean up your act. The first think you need to do is get into a drug rehab program. Heroin is your number one health risk at the moment. Yes, you should also be screened for HIV and hepatitis. It is true most HIV-infected folks have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks; however, some folks may take a bit longer. Consequently, the current recommendation is to wait until the three-month mark for a definitive HIV test result.

Good luck. Let's hope you can turn your life around quickly. As it stands now you are circling the proverbial drain!

? anniversary
Is There Some Truth To This?