CD4 Count in relationship to CD4 %

Hello Doctor, Please help me. I have written twice befor but have not gotten a reply. I find that I have HIV like symptoms and am concerned that I may be positive. I have not been tested for HIV but did have a CBC with T-Cell enumeration. My CD4 is at 613 which was recorded as low and the CD4% was 58% and all other T-Cell percentages were in the high ranges as well. Is it likely that with the high percentage shown that I may be Infected with HIV? My Doctor says that he sees nothing wrong with the test and that I should not worry. I have had stomach problems and swollen lymph nodes in the neck and groin for many months. I do plan on getting a test soon but have great anxiety and currently confined at home. Thank You in advance for your answer. Thomas

Hello Thomas,

The reason I haven't responded is that I answered similar questions before. (Check out the archives!) My response is simple and straightforward. You report you are concerned you may be HIV positive. If you've had a potential HIV exposure and are concerned you may have contracted the virus, there really is only one logical thing to do: get HIV tested! But you knew that already, didn't you Thomas? Of course you did! It's not rocket science. Getting CBCs, T-cell counts, CD4%; having your partner tested; or trying to determine if your infected based on symptoms you either do or do not have are a total waste of time, energy, blood and money. You cannot use these as surrogates to determine your HIV status. Time to man-up Thomas and get tested. There really are no other viable options. Oh sure you could continue to be paralyzed by irrational fear and do nothing. However, please know that when it comes to HIV, what you don't know can kill you. If you're having trouble with "great anxiety," see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Anxiety is a very treatable condition and should never be used as an excuse not to get tested.

Good luck Thomas.

HIV and Cialis
nurse in despair