Testing

Dr.Awesome, I hope this email finds you well. So I am here seekings your professional advice hoping that you may kindly respond. 1) How may I donate to your foundation? 2)On oct.3rd 2008 i was involved in a sexual assault incident with another male. I was anally penetrated with no condom used. I was able to escape the incident and thankfully there was no ejaculation, although there was a minor cut on the outter layer of my rectum. I have done the following tests: -28 day rapid bld neg, 39 day DNA qual prov PCR with ELISA neg, (at which the testing company suggested i need no further testing), yet i did a 62 day oraquick neg, 75 day elisa neg, 88 day rapid blood neg, 124 day rapid blood neg, and finally and most recent 138 day rapid blood-NEG. (-side note is 138 days considered 19 or 20 weeks?)

More importantly, how conclusive am i? where do i stand? and is there still a possibility that I may be delayed due to the fact that maybe the load transfered over was minimal therefore will take longer to develop in my system? My incident as you may imagine is difficult and need you kind support. Please. I beg you.

Thank you kindly Dr.Awesome. :p

Sorry to hear about the assault. HIV-testing guidelines recommend an HIV test immediately and then again at the three- and six-month marks. PCR testing is generally not recommended for routine HIV screening. Your repeatedly negative HIV ELISA tests out to day 138 and negative qualitative PCR DNA at day 39 are extremely encouraging and highly excessive. My advice is to follow the guidelines. Get an HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark for a definitive and conclusive result. At this point the odds are beyond astronomical that you will continue to test negative. (I strongly anticipate a WOOO-HOOO in your near future.)

That an exposure may be "minimal" would not affect the duration of the window period or time to seroconversion.

Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your interest in donating. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your final six-month definitive HIV test remains negative.

Unprotected sex with my partner
Do symptoms of HIV infection start as soon as 48 hours later?