Feb 24, 2009
Hi, I am seeking help on HIV/AIDS and was hoping you can support. Few days ago (Feb18 - 2009) i had oral sex with a strongly HIV positive girl from africa. I went to local clinic to check and they told me that HIV test should be done two weeks after my oral sex to give accurate result, and they gave me medication (tablets) to take once a day to minimize the risk. I have three questions.
2- After how many weeks can i take the HIV test to give me accurate results.
3- Shall i take HepB vaccination to minimize my risk ?
Thanks a lot, and please advice with what ever you can
Response from Dr. Frascino
Oral sex carries only a small risk for HIV acquisition/transmission.
1. The medications you were given are antiretroviral drugs that can be used for post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). However, if you haven't started them within 72 hours of the exposure, I would advise you not take them. Actually in the U.S. PEP is usually not recommended for oral sex exposures.
2. A negative test at three months is generally considered definitive and conclusive.
3. Hepatitis B vaccination is a good idea for sexually active folks who are not already immune.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Should I Get Tested After Swallowing Cum?
- Sex With A Prostitute Do I Need To Get Tested For HIV
- Fever After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Anal Fingering Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Purple Spots After Fingering Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pathophysiology Of Cervical Cancer
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.