HIV/AIDS

Hi, I am seeking help on HIV/AIDS and was hoping you can support. Few days ago (Feb18 - 2009) i had oral sex with a strongly HIV positive girl from africa. I went to local clinic to check and they told me that HIV test should be done two weeks after my oral sex to give accurate result, and they gave me medication (tablets) to take once a day to minimize the risk. I have three questions.

1- Shall i take these tablets, im worried it could not be authorized or have side effects. This is whats written on the paper cover : Lamivudine (150mg) Zidovudine (300mg) Nevirapine (200mg)

2- After how many weeks can i take the HIV test to give me accurate results.

3- Shall i take HepB vaccination to minimize my risk ?

Thanks a lot, and please advice with what ever you can

Oral sex carries only a small risk for HIV acquisition/transmission.

1. The medications you were given are antiretroviral drugs that can be used for post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). However, if you haven't started them within 72 hours of the exposure, I would advise you not take them. Actually in the U.S. PEP is usually not recommended for oral sex exposures.

2. A negative test at three months is generally considered definitive and conclusive.

3. Hepatitis B vaccination is a good idea for sexually active folks who are not already immune.

hip replacement..what is the risk?
I agree with Dr Bob about criminilizing of non disclosure (CRIMINALIZATION OF HIV) (CRIMINALIZING HIV NON-DISCLOSURE, 2009)