hip replacement..what is the risk?

I am 57 years old and on meds, my vir load is undectable and my cd count is 1300. I started having a lot of pain in my leg and loin area and my doctor did a MRI on me and sent me to a specilist. He said that I was to young for a replacement(have heard that in some time) and wanted to treat it with in jections. This I did and after two weeks I am in pain again. I went back to the specilist and he was suprised that I was in pain. He said that I run a big risk of infection if I had the replacement. I think that he just doesn't want to operate because I am poz. What would my risk be? I can't walk without a limp and the pain is always there. Thanks for any advise in this matter. Joe

Hi Joe,

First of all, 57 should not be considered old. Aren't the 50s supposed to be the new 30s? (I certainly hope so.)

Next, it is indeed possible that the specialist you are seeing is HIV-phobic. I'd suggest you seen an HIV-knowledgeable orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. From an HIV and immunological perspective there is absolutely no reason you or any HIVer shouldn't have any surgical procedure that is recommended. The "you run a big risk of infection" line is total bullshit. I would walk (well limp anyway) away from that specialist and not look back.

Good luck Joe.

My FAT Belly (FAT BELLY) (LIPOHYPERTROPHY)
HIV/AIDS