IV Drug, Condom, Pep

Dear Dr.,

As every other reader dose, I salute you on your efforts. They are much appreciated. I am a "poor" student, but I already donated twice to your foundation. That's a money well spent. I promised to myself that each time I get a negative test, I send a donation to your foundation.

My question is regarding the risk assessment and recommendation for PEP after a exposure 36 hours ago. I had a vaginal intercourse with a girl, whose ex-boyfriend was IV drug user. She said she tested negative 3-4 weeks after they broke up. My sexual episode was 10-15 min long. I used condom and, after finishing, did not notice any problem with condom (At least, not that I could see by eye). I had a cut in the middle of my penis shaft which was covered by condom. We had deep kissing but no oral sex.

I was wondering if I am at risk from above scenario and if I need to take PEP? thank you very much.

PEP is definitely not recommended! Protected sex is indeed "protected," assuming the latex (or polyurethane) condom was used properly and did not break. The cut on your shaft would not be considered an HIV risk if it was covered by the condom. Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. As for the kiss, just remember the lyrics to that old song: "A kiss is just a kiss, as time goes by."

PEP is recommended only for significant HIV exposures. You can read much more about PEP and its indications in the archives.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

HIV test frequency question.
Indeterminate Results after blood contact