Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IV Drug, Condom, Pep
Feb 23, 2009

Dear Dr.,

As every other reader dose, I salute you on your efforts. They are much appreciated. I am a "poor" student, but I already donated twice to your foundation. That's a money well spent. I promised to myself that each time I get a negative test, I send a donation to your foundation.

My question is regarding the risk assessment and recommendation for PEP after a exposure 36 hours ago. I had a vaginal intercourse with a girl, whose ex-boyfriend was IV drug user. She said she tested negative 3-4 weeks after they broke up. My sexual episode was 10-15 min long. I used condom and, after finishing, did not notice any problem with condom (At least, not that I could see by eye). I had a cut in the middle of my penis shaft which was covered by condom. We had deep kissing but no oral sex.

I was wondering if I am at risk from above scenario and if I need to take PEP? thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

PEP is definitely not recommended! Protected sex is indeed "protected," assuming the latex (or polyurethane) condom was used properly and did not break. The cut on your shaft would not be considered an HIV risk if it was covered by the condom. Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. As for the kiss, just remember the lyrics to that old song: "A kiss is just a kiss, as time goes by."

PEP is recommended only for significant HIV exposures. You can read much more about PEP and its indications in the archives.

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV test frequency question.
Next
Indeterminate Results after blood contact

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.