Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV negative tops barebacking HIV positive bottoms.
Feb 23, 2009

This is not as much a question as it is a response to all of you men who are asking about the risks involved when a negative top TOPS a positive bottom. Transmission DOES occur! I know the risks are statistically lower than if the top was poz and the bottom neg, but the risks are still HIGH. I know three men who recently seroconverted here in Portland (Oregon): all 3 were barebacking TOPS! One of these men was only 24 years old... This post isn't to judge any of you -- I've barebacked as a top for years. Just keep in mind that anal sex is an effective was for HIV to transfer from host to host, regardless of who's the top and who's the bottom. Tops are indeed getting it, every day. It's not safe and not worth it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thank you for writing in and reinforcing one of the many recurring themes I try to stress in this forum. Your real life experience of personally knowing three top guns who seroconverted as a consequence of barebacking hopefully will be a powerful message for all commando-Rambos out their to wake up and smell the AZT! I absolutely agree with you. Barebacking (even top-only barebacking) is not safe and definitely not worth the risk!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
stupid old man but, not scarred?
Next
5th time's a charm...? please help, i've waited!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.