Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To test or not to test, that is the question..
Feb 21, 2009

During the third week of college I lost my virginity to this girl who had slept with MANY guys before me. I used a condom, and after i finished I even filled it up with water and it filled up nicely, no wholes ( does this mean it did not fail)? Anyways I became paranoid about std's and such to the point where I could not sleep, so I went and got an hiv blood antibody test at 10 weeks which was negative. I thought getting tested would rid me of my fears, because this girl assured me that she has no std's but who knows in this world right? Now I have a fear that I could have picked up something from being in that health clinic in the bronx. It was not exactly the cleanest place. Talk about your all time backfires, I went to get a test to rid me of my irrational fears and they have only grown. Now I am back at school after break and ironically my school is offering oraquick test's every friday! Why is this disease following me, I see the letters HIV everywhere. I went to the nurse for advise about getting retested and she told me that my probability of having it given my situation is 1 in 10 million aproximatley, and told me I am better off not getting a retested because the one thing I do not need is a inconclusive test result or a false positive. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Relax Max! Your freak-out is totally unjustified. Your condom did not fail. And by the way college boy, it's "holes," not "wholes!"

HIV disease is not following you around; guilt and anxiety are the only monkeys on your back! First, despite practicing safer sex, you worry about contracting HIV. Then you get tested, find the result is negative and promptly begin worrying that you may have contracted HIV from the health clinic in the Bronx! Dude, it's a "health" clinic, not a disease factory. You have a whole (notice proper use of "whole") lot of needless worrying going on! My advice is that you spend some time perusing the wealth of information in the archives of this forum. Pay particular attention to how HIV is and is not transmitted. We have entire chapters devoted to HIV sexual prevention, HIV sexual transmission and safer sexual practices. Should you continue to have anxiety over this issue, seek psychological counseling to help you cope with your irrational fears of being HIV infected. Sex is supposed to be (and can be) fun, not anxiety provoking.

Be well. Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HELP!!!!
Next
Private question/criminal transmission?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.