Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried about protected sex with sex worker
Feb 20, 2009

Dr Bob,

Ive recently been travelling in Central & Southern Africa. I currently live in the UK and about 2 weeks ago on a slightly drunken night I had protected sex with a sex worker. I used a latex condom, I didnt finger or kiss her and she never gave me any oral sex. I had vaginal sex with her which lastest no more than 3 minutes, after sex I checked the condom twice to see if it was still intact, and it was, all pre-cautions were taken...The problem is I feel like my holiday has been ruined because Im beating myself up for having sex with a prostitute and now Im worried that I could have aquired HIV as some condoms are not 100% safe. Please tell me Im just tripping and worrying for absolutely nothing - The thought is stuck in my head and I cant seem to enjoy my travels in Africa anymore and its driving me crazy. Please help and thanks in advance, and a generous donation will be sent to you asap.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi UK Guy,

You want me to tell you that you are just tripping and worrying for absolutely nothing? OK, here ya go: "You are just tripping and worrying for absolutely nothing." There, feel better?

I'll also add that HIV cannot permeate intact latex (or polyurethane). No way. No how. Your problem is not HIV, but rather guilt associated with having sex with a pro. Relax Max. You followed all the rules and I see absolutely no cause for concern, OK? Now stop worrying and return to your regularly scheduled vacation!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

I plan to tour Africa this summer following the HIV/AIDS conference.

Be well. "Bon voyage."

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks Dr Bob (Back to normal 1,2)
Next
Unprotected Oral Sex is indeed low risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.